The SCBWI Work-In-Progress application period is coming up! If you have a work-in-progress and you are an SCBWI member, you can fill out an application online for grant money underwritten by Amazon. Applications must be received between February 15th and March 15th, 2013, so it’s time to get moving! For all the details, check out the SCBWI work-in-progress webpage here.
The basic information off of the webpage is as follows:
The SCBWI Work-In-Progress Grants are designed to assist children’s book writers and illustrators in the completion of a specific project, and are made possible by a generous grant from Amazon.com. Grants for first place ($2000) and runner-up ($500) are awarded in each one of seven different categories:
- General Work-In-Progress grant
- Grant for a contemporary novel for young people
- Nonfiction research grant including Anna Cross Giblin Award
- Grant for work by an unpublished author
- Grant for work from a multi-cultural/minority perspective
- Barbara Karlin Grant for unpublished picture book writers.
- Don Freeman Grant for unpublished picture book illustrators.
In any given year, an applicant may apply for ONE Work in Progress Grant. The Grant for an Unpublished Author may not be applied for — it will be chosen by the judges from all the entries in the other Work-In-Progress categories. If you check “unpublished” on the application form, and your status as such is verified, you will be automatically entered for this additional grant.
Please note: All grants must now be submitted electronically. Please read the new guidelines carefully before applying.